February 09, 2011

The Time I Got Paid to do Something I Didn't Know How to Do

Okay, so it wasn't exactly as complex as this lady's job, but still...

In this quest to find a life outside of normal, I usually encounter a little fear along the way. Most times, the fear takes on the form of a reasonable, sensible voice in my head that does its best to convince me not to stick out. It might tell me that I'll look stupid, or that I'll be a huge failure, or that I just don't have what it takes.

My goal is to overcome that voice so that my life can be unique and exciting. Sometimes I manage to be the victor, sometimes I give in and miss out on an opportunity to be amazed.

This is the story of one time I won, overcame the fear, and stepped beyond normal. For a period of time I had been working with a company that fixed and flipped houses. One of the guys I worked with was hired to do a small side job. He brought me along to help. It was supposed to be a two-day job, just the demolition of a master bathroom in a house belonging to a guy named Bill. All we were hired to do was tear the old stuff out and throw it away. After we did the “easy” stuff, the “professionals” would come in to finish the remodel.

Well, I handled the job like any other job I do. I showed up on time, I had a good attitude, and I did the best job I possibly could. The owners of the house were impressed with our work ethic, and asked what else we could do. We could do most of the rough work and drywall, so they kept us on to do that. That lasted about 2 more weeks, which was great for me because work was really slow and I really needed the money.

Now, the owner of the house, Bill, had been in contact with this tile guy to install the tile in the bathroom. And it was definitely going to be a nice bathroom. Natural stone tile everywhere, about 10 bazillion shower heads, heated floor, and big soaking tub. You know, one of those Home and Garden bathrooms. It was a very profitable job, but the “professional” tile guy Bill knew kept putting him off. First, his other job ran over time. Next, he was sick, or his dog was sick, or something. Then the next time it was something else. Basically he kept giving excuses to the point that Bill was sick of it and just wanted someone he could rely on. It was nearing the point where my portion of the job would be done, when Bill approached us and asked “Can you guys do tile work?”

You should know that I had never done any tile work my entire life. Maybe once I had helped my dad install some tile when I was about 10 years old, but I didn't really know anything about it. Neither did my other friends who were working on the project with me. Both of them, immediately and without hesitation, replied “Nope. Don't do tile. Wouldn't want to.”

Bill looked at me. I replied, confidently, “Sure, I can do tile work,” even though I never had before. The confidence is important, I think. Although I hadn't actually done it before, I was completely confident in my ability to quickly learn how and to do an excellent job. I was honest with him, and told him that I hadn't ever been paid to do it before. But because of my work ethic, integrity, and confidence, he was willing to let me take a shot at it.

That night, you can bet I was spending a lot of time reading tutorials, watching videos, and doing whatever else I could to learn about tile and how to do it well.

The next few days went great. I started with a small portion of the house that needed repair anyways, as sort of a test of my skills. It was definitely hard work (as all construction and remodeling is), but there wasn't anything magical about it. It was like most other things in life – it just needed applied focus and determination, along with a willingness to work as hard as was needed. I found I was actually enjoying myself because it was such a new experience. I did a good job, so Bill let me do the bathroom floor. Once again, he liked what he saw so he kept expanding the job. Finally, 3 bathrooms, one entry way, and one sun room later, I was done.

What was supposed to be a two-day job turned into a job that lasted for two more than two months, plus I got referrals to several of his neighbors which turned into more work for me. I think, all told, I made around $15,000 from those jobs. On top of that, I'm now a professional tile installer! I have a skill that is a permanent part of who I am and is something I can use to bring value wherever I go. And none of it was impossibly difficult. Hard work, yes, but new and exciting at the same time.

----------

None of this would have been possible if I hadn't been determined ahead of time to overcome fear in my life. If there had been even slight hesitation when Bill had asked if I could do tile, the fear would have won and he probably would have turned elsewhere to find someone who could do it. I would have missed out on everything that choice has brought me.

I like this story because it reminds me how much difference a simple attitude can make. Life is full of possibilities, and if you are determined to make the most of them, you can have a life that is full and enjoyable.

Be determined! Don't let fear stop you from living the life that is possible for you. Fear is the illusion that keeps you in mediocrity. You have a lot to offer the world, and, to be honest, we need what you can offer. Decide ahead of time that you will face the world with confidence, overcome fear, and see what doors open up for you.


------------------------


In other news, I'm planning on migrating this blog.  Although Blogger has been good to me, I'm looking to extend my wings a little and live outside the sheltered borders.


Keep reading for the updates, I plan on launching my new website by the end of this month!

No comments: