June 17, 2008

Update On The Poles

We've had these little guys for over a week now and they are doing great. They are feasting on spinach leaves and growing like crazy. Well, they're still about the size of a pea... but a much larger pea than last week. No sign of legs yet and we still have no idea what kind of hopper they'll morph into. I even saw someone collect 'poles that turned into salamanders? I had no idea there were so many options for tadpoles. I am a bit ashamed to admit that we were not sure if all six guys would live the first few transitional days, especially since we are not wise in the ways of raising 'poles. However, it looks as if all my Internet research has paid off and we may be able to release all six finished products someday. Let's just hope that they're not bullfrogs. Those guys stay as tadpoles for one to two years!

1 comment:

Heather Christine said...

My guess is that you will have frogs. If they are really tiny (the size of your finger nail) then they will grow into small gree frogs, quite quickly. If you can hold them and they are the size of a pink school eraser (or bigger), then you have the large type of frog or even toads. These take years to develop. Yours look tiny. They will get their back legs first and then the front legs, as soon as this happens make sure they can climb out of the water! So far I have found frog eggs and salamander eggs in the same pond. The fogs were much easier! I have a salamander update on my blog now too. And you can archive the pictures of the frog tadpoles! The things I do for school!!!